Buy a Gift Voucher
Sewing Basics for Beginners Online Course
Learn to sew from the very beginning
Over 6 x 1.5-hour workshops, you will learn to sew from the very beginning. We take you through all the basics of sewing; understanding the sewing machine, sewing technique and how to troubleshoot problems at the machine.
We'll introduce you to terminology, tools, patterns, fabric anatomy, cutting technique and achieving professional results.
The plan of ongoing specific and succinct workshops also allows students to complete steps as homework, or unpick and perfect if desired.
- Looking for Gift Vouchers? ➟ click here.
- Purchase a supplies kit with everything required - designs currently available ➟ click here.
- Overview of the supplies and tools required for the course
- Identify the parts of the sewing machine
- Learn to thread and set up the sewing machine
- Start learning essential techniques including; straight stitching, backstitching, basting and pivoting
- Learn more sewing techniques; zig-zag stitching, applique and sewing at seam allowances
- Hemming and finishing with overcasting
- Pressing and getting professional results
- Fabric anatomy
- Pinning patterns and cutting technique
- Types of interfacing and how to use
- Types of zips, their uses and tools/feet required
- Inserting a regular centred zip
- Boxing out corners
- Understanding pattern markings
- Pinning patterns and cutting technique
- Assembling a bag with full lining
- Middle pinning and manipulating fabric
What You'll Be Making:
- felt-lined fabric wallet
- zippered toiletries case with interfacing
- fully lined sling bag with boxed out corners
Purchase a supplies kit with everything required - designs currently available ➟ click here.
- Students will be able to thread a sewing machine, setup and make adjustments for straight sewing and zigzag stitching, and will make a handy wallet.
- Students will know about fabric anatomy, interfacing and zips. They will know how to fuse interfacing, change feet accessories, insert a centred zip and make a toiletries case.
- Students will be able to independently thread, setup and adjust a sewing machine. With limited supervision; fold fabrics, trace and cut out. Make a lined bag with instructions.
- An experienced teacher and a host, additional cameras for close step-by-step views
- Students will receive detailed handouts, copies of the patterns for workshops, templates and access to video resources
- 3 projects made by you; a handy fabric wallet, toiletries case and a lined bag
- Students will require a sewing machine and a device with access to zoom for all workshops in this online course
- For the first workshop, students will need their thread (other supplies will be discussed)
- A complete list of both tools and supplies is provided in your confirmation email
No experience necessary. Participants in this course should be keen to learn all the basics of sewing! We'll give you an understanding of the sewing machine - including; threading it up, how to adjust settings, machine sewing techniques and starting to trouble shoot problems yourself. We’ll introduce you to basic terminology, loads of tools, simple patterns, fabric selection, cutting technique and achieving professional results with stable woven fabrics. Even if you have sewn some stuff, but aren't sure about stitch width or length, or you keep getting a bird's nest of threads, and/or you don't yet know about seam allowance/guides - we think you'll love the "aha" moments in this course.
During checkout you can add a supplies kit to your booking (link to designs ⬆ in class description).
See Terms & Conditions.
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/