Buy a Gift Voucher
How To Identify & Understand Fabrics
Become confident at choosing the right fabric
Confidently choose the right fabric with your new understanding of fabrics. In this jam-packed 2hour workshop you cover:
We also run this workshop online! ✨Click here & check out upcoming dates for the live stream workshop.
- Fabric background, production methods and environmental impacts
- Man-made vs natural textile fibres
- Fabric characteristics. Content added June 2020.
- Care for your fabrics and avoid laundry tragedies. Content added June 2020
- Identifying wovens, knits and non-wovens
- Knit types and weave structures
- Conduct burn tests
- Choosing the right fabric for your sewing project
- How to start a fabric identification resource book
Optional - bring along a pattern and the fabric for your next project to discuss its suitability.
We are developing a series of Preparations for Sewing sessions, discover more of these sessions - click here.
- Get forensic! Understand the difference between fabrics and fibres
- Avoid wasting money on the wrong fabric choice
- Knowledge of fabric history, production and environmental impacts
- A template to start building your own fabric identification resource
- Learn how to conduct a burn test
- How to assess fabric
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Optional - bring fabric you want to identify
- Optional - bring patterns you want to discuss choosing fabric for
Anyone who wants to improve their sewing outcomes.
See Terms & Conditions.
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/