Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Pattern Drafting Course - Torso Designs ✄✄✄
Thread Den's pattern drafting program is designed to enable you to be creating and producing garments designed by you. Learning to pattern draft will open up a world of unique style and creativity that you will have for a lifetime.
Our program is made up of individual courses:
- The Skirt - six week course - Commencing October 2018
- The Bodice- Next 2019
- The Torso - eight week course - Commencing August 2018
We continue to develop and evolve the courses and may add in more options
Delivered and designed by My Best Friend Jen, our workshops are social and designed for modern guys and girls who want to develop a creative passion. Our pattern drafting program is ideal for individuals who have been sewing from commercial sewing patterns, understand the pattern markings and have a grasp on sewing terminology. The workshop schedule for each includes pattern drafting lessons, not sewing sessions. To make the most of your course, you want to allow for time to make toiles of your drafted patterns.
Over the eight week course students will:
- Draft and fit a torso block & sleeve block to your own measurements
- Learn about darts, yokes & design lines
- Drafting French cuffs, contoured cuffs, rolled up cuffs. Advanced students – vertical pleats,
crescent shapes & extended caps
- Design waisted dresses
- Design waistless dresses, and
- Design jumpsuits
We utilise a number of techniques; working on calico, pattern paper, cardboard, full size and in third size scale. You will build up a reference tool that you will have for a lifetime of pattern drafting.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Draft and fit a torso block to your own measurements
- A variety of styles developed from a torso block
- Creating a variety of dresses and even jumpsuits
- A fitted torso block
- You will build a reference tool full of notes, patterns, samples and references
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Course kit (list provided at booking confirmation)
- For toiles, students will need calico
- A3 Blank Page Journal
✄✄✄ If you have made a few garments using patterns and understand some sewing terminology and have some experience with pattern markings, this is a skill level you are ready for.
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.