Gift this class
Understanding & Using Modern Sewing Patterns ✄
Are you a little bit daunted by the idea of choosing a sew at home pattern? Or do you have a stash of sewing patterns that you aren't confident enough yet to use? Perhaps you have tried to read them and haven't had success? We love getting people sewing!
- We'll talk about where to buy sewing patterns and go through a load of brands and what their specialties are.
- You are going to learn how to read the back of the pattern envelope.
- Unfortunately, you can't just pick the dress size you usually buy from the store and we're going to help you understand why.
- What are all those things that the pattern says you need? Do you really need them?
- Should you trace out or cut out your paper patterns? And learn our tips to getting the right pattern size.
- How to layout pattern pieces.
- What are the markings on the pattern pieces?
- Tips and a glossary to help you understand pattern instructions.
Bring along a pattern that you want to make and we'll spend the last half an hour going through your patterns and helping you understand them.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Three hours in duration
- Where to buy patterns, and lots of brands to look for
- Reading the envelope, selecting your pattern and understanding the supplies: fabrics/notions
- Tracing or cutting out your size, laying out pattern pieces, tips to understanding the instructions
- An understanding on using and confidence in selecting modern sew at home patterns
- Improved craftsmanship for better dressmaking results
- Notebook & pen
- A commercial sew at home pattern you are keen to make (optional)
✄ Relevant to all sewing levels
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.