Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
The Sigma Dress with POCKETS ✄✄
Pattern Design: A beautiful modern pattern from PaperCut Patterns. The Sigma dress features bust darts, waist and back darts. AND pockets! Every garment is better with pockets! You'll learn to how to sew gathers, how to insert an invisible zip and how to set in sleeves.
The patterns cover Bust Measurements from 82cm to 118cm, Waist Measurements from 62cm to 98cm and Hip Measurements from 88cm to 124cm. Please email us if your measurements is outside this range and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
Photographed Sample: Has been made in a rayon which gives great drape for the little gathers on the waist line. PaperCut Patterns
Notes on supplies: This dress will work in a wide variety of fabrics. Consider; light to medium weight woven fabrics - Cotton, Linen, Woolsuiting... This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. As the simple little shift is unlined, avoid sheer fabrics or rough/itchy textures. Ensure you select a closed end invisible zip (not the very similar light weight open ended zip). This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. For directional prints, large prints and fabrics with nap you should purchase extra fabric. For best results - pre-wash your fabric to reduce shrinkage.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Finishing seams with an overlocker, and pressing for professional results.
- Stitching perfect bust and waist darts. Sewing an invisible zip. How to sew gathers and facings, and set in sleeves.
- A stylish modern dress made by you
- Instructions to make the shift dress
- A copy of the pattern
- We are located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's a red door on the street between an Afghan restaurant and the N2 Gelato Bar. If you are putting this into your GPS for directions - make sure that the address is NOT coming up as North Fitzroy. That's a couple of kilometres down the road. Totally not where you need to go.
- Parking near Thread Den: There is very little free parking. Brunswick Street is all ticketed and restricted to as little as 2hours during some hours of the day. Surrounding streets can also be difficult. However, you can park for longer in the paid Coles Car Park. When you look it up online it is listed as Johnston Street, however access is via Argyle Street. If you park on level 1 or 2 and spend over $30 at Coles, you can get your parking for up to 4 hours reimbursed in Coles.
- Catch the tram. Public Transport is the ideal way to get to Thread Den - jump on the number 11 Tram and get off near the Johnston Street intersection.
- .3 metres of light weight fusible interfacing
- 55+cm invisible zipper
- Fabric 140cm+ wide purchase 1.3 metres, or for fabric less than 140cm wide purchase 1.8 metres
- Matching sewing machine thread
✄✄ Students who have completed Sewing Basics Weeks 1-3 and are confident enough to learn several more techniques
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.