Buy a Gift Voucher
Sigma Dress Sewing Course ✄✄
A dress workshop full of details & skills to learn
In this Sigma Dress Workshop, you will make a modern and beautiful pattern from Papercut Patterns over 9 hours. The Sigma dress features bust darts, waist and back darts... AND pockets! Every garment is better with pockets!
This dress is full of details that translate to skills for you to learn. You will be taken step-by-step through;
- Taking your measurements, selecting your size and laying out pattern pieces
- Cutting technique, and transferring pattern markings
- Optional - how to lengthen the skirt
- Fusing interfacing
- Sewing waist and bust darts in both bodice and skirt pieces
- Use overlockers to finish fabric raw edges and seams
- How to create gathers
- Insert an invisible zip
- Setting in sleeves
- Get great results hemming
In class, we make the short sleeve as included in Papercut's school pack. For more variations, including long sleeves, buy the full Sigma dress pattern by Papercut Patterns.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Wear it with: Papercut's Sapporo Coat - click to view.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Finishing seams with an overlocker, and pressing for professional results.
- Stitching perfect bust and waist darts. Sewing an invisible zip. How to sew gathers and facings, and set in sleeves.
- A stylish modern dress made by you
- Instructions to make the dress
- A copy of the pattern
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- .3 metres of light weight fusible interfacing
- 55+cm invisible zipper
- Woven fabric >140cm wide - 1.3 metres, or <140cm 1.8 metres
- Matching sewing machine thread
✄✄ Intermediate Sewing Star: This sewing thing is really growing on you! You can follow a suggested layout and have now worked with a variety of woven fabrics, maybe even your first knits. You've stepped up to using patterns for simple garments like basic skirts, pants and tops. You've sewn a dart, inserted a basic zip and have finished edges with an overlocker.
Medium-weight woven fabrics. Cotton blends, linen, rayon, French crepe.
See Terms & Conditions.
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/