Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Open Studio - Sewing Lounge & Cutting Room Use
Casual use of our Sewing Studio and Cutting Room space is available on Thursdays and Fridays. This time is ideal for fashion students, hobby sewists and designers.
- Catch up on course homework and finish workshop projects.
- Trace off patterns and draft your own on the drafting/cutting tables (pattern drafting paper & pattern card is available for sale).
- Work on your toile, create a sample or finish your current project on one of our eight Janome Sewing Machines (supplied by Statewide Sewing Centres) with various feet available for your use. Unfortunately, we do not have any industrial machines.
- Cut out samples and big projects on the cutting/drafting tables.
- Finish seams and tidy edges,Unfortunately, overlockers can only be used by students who have learnt to use them in one of our workshops or you can organise private tuition to learn to use them - click here.
- Browse our Vintage Pattern Library and use our dressmaking and projects reference library. Patterns must be traced off.
There is no instruction provided during casual times. This is appropriate for independent sewing only. For tuition, contact us about a private lesson.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and use the lounge for free - click here to read more.
- Self directed sewing studio use
- Visitors need to bring along patterns, fabrics, notions...
- Convenient use of drafting/cutting tables
- Domestic sewing machines available
- Large drafting/cutting tables
- Creative and collaborative space
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- ALL the supplies and notions you need for your project
Visitors must know how to thread and use a sewing machine
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.