Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Sew High Waisted Knickers ✄✄
A four hour workshop making a pair of extra high waisted knickers with princess seams to feature contrasting fabrics. During construction you'll learn about machine knit stiches and finishing your seams with the overlocker. We'll also teach you how to apply lingerie or picot edge elastic.
Our pattern measurements go to a 105cm hip, but note - because you are working in knit fabrics the final size can be much larger if you choose knit fabric with a large amount of stretch.
Our photographed knickers have combined a floral print knit with 2 way stretch that was purchased at ClearIt on Brunswick Street with a dusty pink netting that has been put over a plain off white 2 way stretch knit fabric. The picot underwear elastic is from Jimmy Buttons in Fitzroy.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Measurements, choosing the right size when working with knit, pattern markings and pattern placement
- How to apply underwear/picot elastic
- To use overlocker and sewing machine stretch stitches, needles and equipment selection for knit fabrics
- A pair of knickers made by you
- Instructions to make your knickers
- A copy of the pattern
- We are located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's a red door on the street between an Afghan restaurant and the N2 Gelato Bar. If you are putting this into your GPS for directions - make sure that the address is NOT coming up as North Fitzroy. That's a couple of kilometres down the road. Totally not where you need to go.
- Parking near Thread Den: There is very little free parking. Brunswick Street is all ticketed and restricted to as little as 2hours during some hours of the day. Surrounding streets can also be difficult. However, you can park for longer in the paid Coles Car Park. When you look it up online it is listed as Johnston Street, however access is via Argyle Street. If you park on level 1 or 2 and spend over $30 at Coles, you can get your parking for up to 4 hours reimbursed in Coles.
- Catch the tram. Public Transport is the ideal way to get to Thread Den - jump on the number 11 Tram and get off near the Johnston Street intersection.
- Polyester sewing machine thread
- .5 metre of knit or woven fabric for the centre front and centre backs
- .5 metre of stretchy knit fabricfor the sides
- 2 metres of lingerie or picot elastic
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to try new techniques and tricky fabrics
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.