Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Boned Bodice Course ✄✄✄
12 hour course where you make a beautiful boned bodice. This is an opportunity to take your skills to the next level creating a structured bodice with interfacing, underlining, lining and boning! - all with the support of your teacher.
There are so many benefits to learning how to create structure in a bodice, here are just a few:
- Want to make a firm fitting vintage style dress? You'll achieve smooth lines with a great fit by incorporating boning through a structured bodice.
- Want to make a sleeveless dress that you don't need to grab hold of and hitch up all night? A structured bodice with waist stay, boning and underlining is the answer!
- Want to make a special dress that will accomodate fluctuations in your weight? The rouleau loops and lace up back with a modesty panel will solve this problem.
- Looking for a bodice for the boudoir, or for burlesque or pole dancing with smooth panel lines? Here is your pattern!
- Want to learn how to get perfect results on bodice princess seams? We'll show you how.
- Want to know how to use steel spiral boning, boning channels, finish the ends or use poly-sew-in boning? We'll be covering it all.
There are so many techniques learnt through the making of this bodice, you will be able to incorporate them into a huge variety of your sewing projects.
The bodice style laces up in the back through a series of self fabric rouleau loops and has a modesty panel in the centre back, it can easily include straps if preferred, is fully lined as well as underlined, and includes boning for incredible structure. This style is perfect for adaptation into gowns, it could be worn over a blouse paired with jeans, the kicker in costumes, or something very special for the boudoir!
Learn about using spiral steel boning and sew-in poly-boning.
Styling Ideas & Notes On Supplies: AussieCorsetSupplies (shapewell, boning, lacing ribbons, boning casings...), Jimmy Buttons - 375 George St Fitzroy (trims, lacing ribbon), Clearit - 188-192 Brunswick St Fitzroy (discounted cute lining fabrics), M Recht - 53-57 Cambridge St Collingwood (boning, tapes, biasbindings, straps). Email us at info@ThreadDen.com as well, as we often have steel spiral boning and more in stock.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, sewing a toile, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Discover the supplies that go into a corset; create structure with shapewell and different types of boning
- Fusing interfacing, sewing bust curves and creating the perfect line of rouleau loops.
- A copy of the pattern
- Instructions to making a corset
- A beautiful boned bodice made by you!
- We are located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's a red door on the street between an Afghan restaurant and the N2 Gelato Bar. If you are putting this into your GPS for directions - make sure that the address is NOT coming up as North Fitzroy. That's a couple of kilometres down the road. Totally not where you need to go.
- Parking near Thread Den: There is very little free parking. Brunswick Street is all ticketed and restricted to as little as 2hours during some hours of the day. Surrounding streets can also be difficult. However, you can park for longer in the paid Coles Car Park. When you look it up online it is listed as Johnston Street, however access is via Argyle Street. If you park on level 1 or 2 and spend over $30 at Coles, you can get your parking for up to 4 hours reimbursed in Coles.
- Catch the tram. Public Transport is the ideal way to get to Thread Den - jump on the number 11 Tram and get off near the Johnston Street intersection.
- 1 metre of medium weight fabric (the outside of your corset)
- 1 metre of medium weight lining fabric
- 1 metre lightweight fusible interfacing
- 1 metre lightweight sew in shapewell or calico
- 6 metres lacing ribbon
- 3 metres of boning casing (petersham ribbon, bias binding, or tubular boning casing)
- 3 metres of spiral steel or sew-in boning
- Full list will be include in your confirmation email
✄✄✄ If you have made garments using patterns and understand sewing terminology and have some experience with pattern markings, this is a skill level you are ready for. You are expected to know how to use a sewing machine.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.