Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Simple Shift Dress Workshop ✄
7 hours in duration. Sew a sweet, simple shift dress. A Shift dress falls straight from the shoulders, with the bottom being wider than the top, it will actually shift on the frame as worn. A shift has no defined waist and with it’s limited detailing and only a few pattern pieces it is a great project for beginners.
While making this dress you will: finish edges with the overlocker, sew bust darts, insert an invisible zip, learn the all in one method for neck and armhole facings and hemming.
Our patterns cover bust measurements from 75cm to 110cm. Please email us if your measurements is outside this range and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Finishing seams with an overlocker, and pressing for professional results.
- Stitching perfect bust darts. Sewing an invisible zip. Rolled method for all in one neck/armhole facing.
- A shift dress made by you
- Instructions to make the shift dress
- A copy of the pattern
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- 55+cm invisible zipper
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 2.5 metres of woven fabric
✄ Students who have completed Sewing Basics Weeks 1-3 and are ready to learn a few more techniques
Woven apparel fabrics: cotton stretch sateen, cotton drill, denim, linen, wool blends
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.