Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Sew a Shift Dress with an Invisible Zip ✄
Pattern Design: Simple, sweet, and looks a treat! Perfect for any season. In cooler weather, make a larger size allowing for thick tights and a turtle neck underneath. When it's warmer, keep it light and simple. A Shift dress falls straight from the shoulders, with the bottom being wider than the top, it will actually shift on the frame as worn. A shift has no defined waist and with it’s limited detailing and only a few pattern pieces it is a great project for beginners.
While making this dress you will: finish edges with the overlocker, sew bust darts, insert an invisible zip, learn the all in one method for neck and armhole facings and hemming.
For fabric and styling Inspiration - click here.
Our patterns cover bust measurements from 78cm to 113cm. Please email us if your measurements is outside this range and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
Photographed Sample: Our simple little shift has been made out a vintage bed sheet!
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- Finishing seams with an overlocker, and pressing for professional results.
- Stitching perfect bust darts. Sewing an invisible zip. Rolled method for all in one neck/armhole facing.
- A shift dress made by you
- Instructions to make the shift dress
- A copy of the pattern
- 55+cm invisible zipper
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 2.5 metres of woven fabric
✄ Students who have completed Sewing Basics Weeks 1-3 and are ready to learn a few more techniques
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.