Gift this class
Sewing and Fitting a Pencil Skirt ✄✄
Pattern Design: A pencil skirt is a wardrobe classic. You will not only make a skirt, but you will also choose your level of fit and make adjustments to get a great fit. You'll also learn how to draft a waistband for your skirt. You'll learn new skills, improve your sewing confidence and increase your knowledge of dressmaking all under the guiding eye of a teacher supporting you through the steps. In a workshop at this level, you are expected to know how to use a sewing machine.
Photographed Sample: Laura models her very own pencil skirt made from our Thread Den pattern in the photograph. In a lovely black woven fabric with the slightest amount of stretch. She has chosen to go with a semi-fitted skirt, it is finished with a waistband and is hemmed just below her knee. Classic simple styling that will allow her to team it with just about anything in her wardrobe!
Styling Ideas and Notes on Supplies: You can not only choose from a huge variety of fabrics to make this skirt, once you've made it in class, it is probably compulsory to make it again in all sorts of flavours!
If you want a really close fit from your pencil skirt, choose a medium weight woven fabric that contains a percentage of stretch - you want to ensure that your skirt allows you to sit. If you want a more relaxed fit skirt, you could work with a linen, or similar fabrics that have very little stretch.
This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. Click here to read about choosing the right interfacing.
Our pattern measurements cover from a 66cm to 96cm waist waist. If you wish to make a skirt outside this range, please email us and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- Measurements and selecting pattern sizes, pattern placement, transferring markings and cutting technique
- Interfacing, stitching darts, finishing side seams and inserting an centred regular zip
- Checking fit, drafting and attaching a waistband, and hemming
- A perfect pencil skirt adjusted to your desired fit
- Instructions to making the pencil skirt
- A copy of the pattern
- 18+cm regular dress zip
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1.3m medium weight woven fabrics with a small percentage of stretch
- .3m light weight interfacing
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to learn several more techniques
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.