Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Crochet Basics for Beginners Course
Six hours in total to get you hooked! Crochet is a language of its own, but a language that also differs from the UK to the US. In an eternal battle between metric and imperial, singles vs doubles (and we don't mean tennis), letters vs sizes, weight vs ply... it is enough to leave you curled in the corner of the yarn department rocking back and forth. But we are here to demystify this crazy confusion and leave you with an addiction to crochet!
We have developed a course that will thoroughly explain all the elements of crochet. You'll get a great understanding of the terminology, tools, yarn weights and types, how to hold your hands, reading patterns, making swatches to check your tension/gauge and of course creating all the basic crochet stitches. Over the three weekly workshops, you will also receive extensive class notes that will provide you with a reference tool you can come back to time and time again.
What you'll be making:
- Week 1: While de-mystifying the language of crochet, you'll make a chain stitch necklace
- Week 2: Make a headband, perfect to keep your bangs out of your eyes or your ears warm
- Week 3: A tri-coloured scarf
Types of Crochet Workshops available at Thread Den:
- If you want a more comprehensive understanding of crochet that explains all its nuances, book this one, the "Crochet Basics for Beginners Course".
- Not sure if you'll like it and just want a taste? Learn only the essentials for a specific project. An intro workshop is also a great way to get a refresher and reignite your passion for hooking. Check out Intro to Crochet: The Chevron Blanket Workshop - click here or the Intro to Crochet: The Granny Square Workshop - click here.
- or even have a look at our longer programs: The Crochet Clubs - click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Learn many crochet stitches, work in rows and rounds, change colours
- How to decipher UK & US terminology, read patterns
- All about yarn types, the variety of hooks, tension/gauge and working swatches... and much, much more
- Detailed class notes that will arm you with an extensive reference tool
- A chain necklace, headband and tri-coloured scarf all made by you!
- Patterns and instructions to make each item again
- We are located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. It's a red door on the street between an Afghan restaurant and the N2 Gelato Bar. If you are putting this into your GPS for directions - make sure that the address is NOT coming up as North Fitzroy. That's a couple of kilometres down the road. Totally not where you need to go.
- Parking near Thread Den: There is very little free parking. Brunswick Street is all ticketed and restricted to as little as 2hours during some hours of the day. Surrounding streets can also be difficult. However, you can park for longer in the paid Coles Car Park. When you look it up online it is listed as Johnston Street, however access is via Argyle Street. If you park on level 1 or 2 and spend over $30 at Coles, you can get your parking for up to 4 hours reimbursed in Coles.
- Catch the tram. Public Transport is the ideal way to get to Thread Den - jump on the number 11 Tram and get off near the Johnston Street intersection.
- Week 2: 5mm hook & one ball of 8 ply yarn
- Week 3: 4.5mm hook & three balls of 8 ply yarn each a different colour
- Week 1: 9mm hook & a ball of chunky yarn (14ply +)
This is perfect for an absolute crochet beginner
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.