Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Leather Tote Bag Workshop ✄✄
In this four hour workshop you'll learn how to use a domestic sewing machine (just like you have at home) to work with light leather. This bag design can be made tall or short and features leather, a contrasting fabric, full lining and strapping handles. Students will learn to use a walking foot attachment, select the right needle and how to handle the tools to attach metal bag accessories.
The larger photographed bag is made from a yellow vinyl and medium weight woven fabric as the contrast. The smaller bag is made from a soft light-weight blue leather and a leather suede in darker blue. Both bags have natural coloured woven straps.
A notes on your supplies:
The easiest place to source leather is from op shops! Grab jackets and skirts, then give them a new lease on life. This is a great sustainable way to reuse material that has a long durable life (but often is in the daggiest of garments - HELLO 80s!!!)
The Fabric Store on Brunswick Street has a great range of leather in brilliant colours.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- How to sew light leather on a domestic sewing machine
- What needles to select
- Use a walking foot attachment and how to handle the tools to attach accessories
- A unique tote bag made by you
- A copy of the pattern
- Instructions to make it time and time again
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1 metre of a woven light to medium weight cotton for the bag lining
- Natural woven strapping will be supplied for your handles
- 1 metre or enough to piece together two pieces of 40cm x 50cm soft light leather or a medium to heavy weight woven fabric.
- 0.5 metres of medium weight woven fabric for the outside of your bag
- Hardware for securing handles is supplied
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to try new techniques and tricky leather
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.