Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Leather Tote Bag Workshop ✄✄
In this four hour workshop you'll learn how to use a domestic sewing machine (just like you have at home) to work with light leather. This bag design can be made tall or short and features leather, a contrasting fabric, full lining and strapping handles. Students will learn to use a walking foot attachment, select the right needle and how to handle the tools to attach metal bag accessories.
The larger photographed bag is made from a yellow vinyl and medium weight woven fabric as the contrast. The smaller bag is made from a soft light-weight blue leather and a leather suede in darker blue. Both bags have natural coloured woven straps.
A notes on your supplies:
The easiest place to source leather is from op shops! Grab jackets and skirts, then give them a new lease on life. This is a great sustainable way to reuse material that has a long durable life (but often is in the daggiest of garments - HELLO 80s!!!)
The Fabric Store on Brunswick Street has a great range of leather in brilliant colours.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- How to sew light leather on a domestic sewing machine
- What needles to select
- Use a walking foot attachment and how to handle the tools to attach accessories
- A unique tote bag made by you
- A copy of the pattern
- Instructions to make it time and time again
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1 metre of a woven light to medium weight cotton for the bag lining
- Natural woven strapping will be supplied for your handles
- 1 metre or enough to piece together two pieces of 40cm x 50cm soft light leather or a medium to heavy weight woven fabric.
- 0.5 metres of medium weight woven fabric for the outside of your bag
- Hardware for securing handles is supplied
✄ Perfect for students who have completed our Sewing Basics Course and want to learn several new techniques and skills
Cancellations or Request for Change:
- Participants may request a transfer to their booking without penalty up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date.
- Participants cancelling their booking up until seven (7) days prior to the course or workshop start date will receive a refund less a $10 administration fee.
- Requests to change received less than 7 days before an event will incur a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Requests to cancel received less than 7 days before an event will receive a partial refund – incurring a 30% administration fee (including GST).
- Cancellation or requests to transfer received the day before, the day of, or after a course start will not be eligible for a refund, are not eligible for transfer, and are not eligible for credit towards another course.
- Bookings (without date changes) are fully transferrable to another person without incurring any penalty.
Notice periods above are based on your original booking date, if a transfer has been made, the notice periods do not reset.
Any refunds are made to the original method of payment.
Last updated 22nd May 2019.
This policy is available for viewing on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/
We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card.
Unfortunately, we can’t tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
The full terms and conditions are available on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/