Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Leather Tote Bag Workshop ✄✄
In this four hour workshop you'll learn how to use a domestic sewing machine (just like you have at home) to work with light leather. This bag design can be made tall or short and features leather, a contrasting fabric, full lining and strapping handles. Students will learn to use a walking foot attachment, select the right needle and how to handle the tools to attach metal bag accessories.
The larger photographed bag is made from a yellow vinyl and medium weight woven fabric as the contrast. The smaller bag is made from a soft light-weight blue leather and a leather suede in darker blue. Both bags have natural coloured woven straps.
A notes on your supplies:
The easiest place to source leather is from op shops! Grab jackets and skirts, then give them a new lease on life. This is a great sustainable way to reuse material that has a long durable life (but often is in the daggiest of garments - HELLO 80s!!!)
The Fabric Store on Brunswick Street has a great range of leather in brilliant colours.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- How to sew light leather on a domestic sewing machine
- What needles to select
- Use a walking foot attachment and how to handle the tools to attach accessories
- A unique tote bag made by you
- A copy of the pattern
- Instructions to make it time and time again
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 1 metre of a woven light to medium weight cotton for the bag lining
- Natural woven strapping will be supplied for your handles
- 1 metre or enough to piece together two pieces of 40cm x 50cm soft light leather or a medium to heavy weight woven fabric.
- 0.5 metres of medium weight woven fabric for the outside of your bag
- Hardware for securing handles is supplied
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to try new techniques and tricky leather
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.