Buy a Gift Voucher
Your Ultimate Swing Coat Course ✄✄✄
An advanced sewing project to impress everyone
Over 15 hours, make this classic swing coat, featuring; a double-breasted front for warmth, an oversized asymmetric collar and bell sleeves. The coat is fully lined, as well as being fully interlined with a fleece interfacing, and includes side pockets. It will stand the test of time, with your high-quality construction and the pattern's detailed inclusion of facings throughout.
Click here to see many more photos of our featured coat.
With the support and guidance of an experienced teacher, you will learn advanced skills that you'll be able to incorporate into your future sewing projects
- Measurements and selecting the pattern size to make
- Block fusing interfacing
- Pattern lay up, tracing and transferring markings
- Cutting technique for lining and fabric
- Assemble coat fronts with princess seams
- Assemble coat back with princess seams and pleat
- Fully faced pocket bags
- Joining coat front and back
- Assemble lining
- Pleating and setting in the sleeves
- Attaching facings to the main coat
- Setting in the lining sleeves with facings
- Inserting the lining in the coat
- Bagging out for completely enclosed seams
- Finishing closures and buttons
Throughout you will also learn to shape and tailor, how to set-in sleeves with ease, sew fully lined sleeves with facings and bagging out the fully lined coat.
See other photos of our bottle-green coat sample and others made in class in this Facebook album - click here.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
- Taking measurements and choosing the right size, pattern placement and transferring markings, cutting technique.
- How to set in a sleeve with ease, bag out a fully lined coat and achieve professional finishes, .
- Using soft fleece interfacing, sewing a garment with darts, pleats, facings on pockets, sleeves, hem and centre front.
- A beautiful statement piece that will stand the test of time - made by you!
- Complete instructions to making the swing coat and the support of your teacher throughout
- A copy of the coat pattern
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Thread matching your main fabric
- 3.2 metres of heavy weight coating; boiled wool, tweeds and wool blends are ideal
- 3 metres of lining fabric
- Coat closures to your own preference; frog closures, toggles, rivet studs or 4 to 6 large buttons
- 3.2 metres of low or medium volume fleece interfacing
✄✄✄ This is an advanced sewing course. You should know these terms and techniques: grain-line, selvedge, seam allowance, darts, basting, fusing interfacing, gathering.
See Terms & Conditions.
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - email@example.com . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/