Gift this class
How to Sew with Knit Fabrics ✄✄
Sewing with knit fabrics is different to working with wovens and you need to pick up a couple of new skills and learn some new techniques. In this two part class you will learn all you need to know about successful sewing with knit fabric. If you've given it a go and had skipped stitches, puckered seams and general frustrations - we'll help you understand where you were going wrong.
You create several samples while learning how to adjust your machine for a great result.
You'll use the overlocker and sew with a twin needles, as well as understanding the knit stitches on regular sewing machines more. After you have been armed with the necessary skills you will complete a 3/4 sleeve blouse (or a men's shirt).
When choosing your fabric, please choose knit fabric with 2 way stretch. A nice choice is a blend of predominantly natural fibre with some synthetic, for example 95% Merino and 5% Spandex.
Check out one made by Dan Bamford here.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
6 hours in total Mondays 2 & 9 Oct. From 6-9pm.
- Understanding stretch/knit fabric types
- How to use overlocker and sewing machine stretch stitches
- Needle and equipment selection for knit fabrics
- Multiple samples to practice the techniques
- A copy of the pattern and detailed instructions
- A 3/4 sleeve blouse or men's tee with professional finishes
- Poly Cotton blend sewing machine thread - matching your fabrics
- 1.5metres of knit fabric with at least 50% stretch both horizontally & vertically
- *optional .3metres of knit fabric for contrasting neck band
✄✄ for students who have completed Sewing Basics and are confident enough to try new techniques
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.