Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Sew an A Line Skirt with Princess Seams ✄ ✄
Pattern Design: An A-line skirt is a skirt that is fitted at the waist and top of the hips and widens towards the hem, giving the impression of the shape of a capital letter A. The longer the hem line, the more the A will collapse, creating drape. Our pattern features Princess seams, allowing you to insert a centre feature panel if desired and there are also feature faux pocket plackets. This pattern does not include a lining, take this into consideration when choosing your fabrics and avoid scratchy/itchy material. The skirt is finished with a waistband and closes with an invisible zip, plus one button on the waistband. Our pattern waist measurement covers from a 65cm to 105cm. If you wish to make a skirt outside this range, please email us and we will grade a pattern ready for your workshop.
For a less challenging A Line Skirt, you may be interested in our Mid Length Skirt.
Photographed Sample: Our skirt is made from a black acetate fabric with a feature panel. The feature panel is a woven with black flect over print. These are lighter weight fabrics that have a beautiful drape. While we have "fluffed" out the skirt to accentuate the shape, the lighter weight fabrics collapse on the A frame shape.
Notes on supplies: Ensure you select a closed end invisible zip (not the very similar light weight open ended zip). This pattern is not suitable for knit fabrics. For directional prints, large prints and fabrics with nap you should purchase extra fabric. Please click here to read about the right interfacing to choose. For best results - pre-wash your fabric to reduce shrinkage.
Workshop skill levels explained – click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy – Click Here
- Measurements, pattern ease, reading a pattern envelope, choosing the right size, pattern markings, placement, transferring markings
- Sewing an invisible zip, checking your fit, attaching a waistband, using the one step buttonhole and hemming
- Fusing interfacing, stitching waist darts, princess seams and finishing side seams
- An A Line skirt made by you!
- Instructions to make the A Line skirt
- A copy of the pattern
- 1 button up to 2.5cm in diameter
- 18cm invisible closed end zip
- 20cm light to mid weight fusible interfacing
- Matching sewing machine thread
- 110cm wide fabric = 2.5m OR 145cm+ wide fabric = 1.8m medium weight dress fabric.
✄✄ For students confident enough to tackle a few new techniques
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.